ad tag

728x90

June 2, 2008

Safety and life - don't be naive

23 November 2007, five dragon boat paddlers lost their lives in Cambodia. 1 June 2008, there are still paddlers who "doubt that capsize drills would be useful locally. Most said they have not experienced or seen a dragon boat capsize here." Having not experienced a capsize does not mean it will never happen to you. Look what happened in Cambodia? It is just like saying, "Why can't I drive recklessly when I have not experienced an accident?", "Why study when I have not failed?", or "Why exercise to lower my bad cholesterol when I have not experienced a heart attack?"

Eugene Wong said, "It will be quite dangerous to practice capsizing a boat, too, because it is heavy."
(The Sunday Times, 1 June 2008) It will be more dangerous to not know how to re-act and free oneself from a real capsize situation. Therefore, capsizing drills in a controlled environment, supervised by experts and/or professionals are needed.

In every sporting activity, there is always the possibility of accident and injury. Before I was allowed to rock climb in an indoor gym in Kuala Lumpur, I had to show the staff I knew how to tie a proper knot, belay safely & re-act quickly if the climber slipped and fell. That was despite of my belaying many, many times. Before a mountaineer embarks on a high altitude alpine trip, he or she needs to know how to perform a crevasse rescue, recognize altitude sickness and prevent frost bite.

Preparation for an outdoor activity includes preparing the brain, not just the brawn. Just because it has never happened to you does not mean it could never happen to you.

No comments: