ad tag

728x90

August 19, 2008

Ruby Grapefruit Marmalade

I promised to put up another post about jam - if the next attempt was succesful - here it is...
In that same supermarket outing I had also bought 6 really nice looking Ruby Grapefruit. I'm really really fond of marmalade - so this was the prefect ingredient for making a luscious spread. Why grapefruit? Well, we can't get Seville oranges here, so in an attempt to add that tangy, slightly bitter characteristic of Seville Orange marmalade that I love,
I usually resort to grapefruit. Ordinary oranges are OK, but a bit sweet and lack character. For those who do not like their marmalade bitter, but yet wanting some Ooomph, I make a 3 fruit (orange, lemon and grapefruit/lime) version.

I wanted to give the marmalade a slight rosy hue, the way the fruit looks in its fresh state, and was wondering how this could be achieved. Mulling on the idea whilst browsing the vegetable section, I spied some beetroot. Yes! Beetroot. I've eaten a really delicious grapefruit and beetroot salad and knew immediately this was my solution. I would add beetroot juice to the fruit pulp and this would impart a lovely earthy sweetness as well as adding a beautiful ruby colour.


I'm pleased to say it all went according to plan and here's some of the photos of the session... we even managed to eat some with fresh baked muesli bread, all made on the same very domestic Saturday. Yum!

In case you are wondering about the labels... I thought it would lend a professional touch to name the product.

Helps when I give them away to friends and family.






No comments: